Have you ever wondered whether the symptoms you experience are due to an allergy, intolerance or sensitivity to a particular substance or product?
Do you know what the difference is between all those conditions?
At ROC Private Clinic we are able to help you get a clear answer.
The most useful tool in deciding whether someone is allergic is to conduct an ‘allergy history’. A good clinician can usually identify likely allergens from the history.
In order to help diagnose an allergy we may carry out:
- Skin Prick Allergy Tests
- Blood Tests (RAST) Ig E
- Patch Allergy Testing
Skin Prick Allergy Testing
Skin Prick Allergy Testing is a well-established method of identifying allergens by using drops of suspected allergens.
Skin Prick Testing can reliably identify airborne as well as food allergens. The testing involves applying droplets of allergen extracts usually on the forearm, followed by pricking the skin with a lancet. The results are ready within 15-20 minutes. You should stop taking antihistamines up to 5 days before the procedure, depending on the type of antihistamine.
Patch Allergy Testing
Patch Testing is a well-established method of identifying allergens in allergic contact dermatitis.
The testing involves applying patches containing various allergens. You will be required to attend the clinic at 48 and 96 hours in order to complete the patch testing assessment.
Blood testing is particularly helpful as antihistamine medication does not need to be stopped and in such circumstances when rare or unusual allergens are suspected.
Blood Tests for Allergy
We carry out Ig E testing and we can target:
- Individual allergens as suggested by the history
- Eczema specific allergens
- Rhinitis specific allergens
- Food allergens
- Insect allergens
- Drug allergens
- Airborne allergens
We are able to test to over 500 allergens.
Please contact us for further information and our Allergy Clinic brochure where you can find out more about Skin Prick Allergy Testing, our assessments and fees.
Book your appointment today!
Meet our experts
- Qualifications: MB BChir.| MA (hons)| Ph.D. | MRCPCH (UK) | Dip Med Ed (Newcastle).
- Location(s): Aberdeen
- Clinical Interest(s): Food Allergy And Anaphylaxis | Pollen-Fruit Syndrome | Asthma | Allergic Rhino-Conjunctivitis And Immunotherapy | Allergic Gastrointestinal Disease | Urticarial And Angioedema | Drug Allergy | Eczema | Venom Allergy.
Dr.Vance qualified in Medicine from Emmanuel College, Cambridge, in 1992. She also took a higher specialist training in Allergy, Immunology and Infectious Diseases at Southampton General Hospital and Great Ormond Street Hospital. Dr. Vance has an academic portfolio with initial PhD investigating the early life factors that may influence the development of allergy. She now also leads a team in medical education research at the University of Newcastle.
- Qualifications: BSc. | MBBS. | MRCGP. | DRCOG. | DFFP.
- Location(s): London, Harley Street
- Clinical Interest(s): Contraception and Sexual Health | Gynaecology | Dermatology | Child Health | Allergy | Weight Loss | Preventative Health Care.
Dr. Nicola Harrison has been the Head of Clinical Governance of ROC London Clinic until 2017 when she was appointed as ROC London Clinic’s Medical Director. She is also the registered manager with the Care Quality Commission for the London Clinic. She graduated from Guy's and St Thomas's Medical School, London in 2003. She also became a member of the Royal College of General Practitioners in 2007. She holds the Diploma of the Faculty of Family Planning and the Diploma of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecology. Dr Nicola Harrison runs our preventative health programmes and childhood immunisation programmes. She consults children and adults for allergy related disorders and she is the clinical lead at ROC for Allergy Assessments and testing.
Dr. Cristina Romete
- Qualifications: Msc. | MRCGP. | DOccMed. | DRCOG. | DFFP.
- Location(s): Aberdeen - ROC Private Clinic
- Clinical Interest(s): Complex Medical Conditions, Cardiovascular Disease, Preventative Medicine, Mental Health, Occupational Medicine, Alternative Medicine: Acupuncture
Dr Romete is the founder of ROC Private Clinic and the managing director of ROC Private Clinic and ROC Heath services. She is the Managing Director for ROC Private Clinic and ROC Health Services, a sister company providing Occupational Health Services in UK.