The Osteoporosis Service at ROC is delivered personally by Professor David Reid, a Consultant rheumatologist with over 30 years experience of diagnosing and treating osteoporosis. He has been involved in the development and implementation of national and international guidelines on assessing and managing the disease primarily via his continuing work with the National Osteoporosis Society including a 4-year period as Chair of the Board of Management.
What is osteoporosis
Osteoporosis is a condition that is associated with an increase risk of fractures especially those occurring at the wrist, shoulder, hip and spine (back).
1 in 2 women and 1 in 5 men over the age of 50 will suffer a fracture related to osteoporosis. Most fractures occur after a fall but those in the spine can occur without injury and amazingly sometimes without pain patients being alerted to them by loss of height or an increasing stoop as well as pain or aching.
Osteoporosis awareness and its association with fractures has increased rapidly in the last 3 decades but so also have methods of detecting risk of the condition.
Who will benefit from a full osteoporosis risk assessment?
The following are risk factors for Osteoporosis and highlight the need for a full risk assessment:
- A Family History of osteoporosis or fractures
- Rheumatoid arthritis or ankylosis spondylitis
- Women with an early menopause
- Chronic liver or kidney disease
- Men and women with a previous fracture
- Patients receiving some drugs for breast and prostate cancer
- Eating disorders or anorexia nervosa
- Heavy alcohol intake
- Coeliac disease or other causes of food malabsorption
- Chronic corticosteroid users for e.g. asthma, arthritis and other conditions
- Prolonged Overactivity of the Thyroid and Parathyroid glands
ROC Private Clinic offers a full Osteoporosis Assessment as well as DEXA only assessments. Whether you have concerns you may have Osteoporosis, you suffered a recent fracture, you undertook a scan elsewhere or simply just wish to have a DEXA scan, ROC Private Clinic will be able to help.
Book your appointment today!
Meet our experts
David M Reid
- Qualifications: MBChB. | MD. | FRCP (Edin). | FRCP (Lon)
- Location(s): London and Aberdeen
- Clinical Interest(s): One Stop Osteoporosis Risk Assessment Service|DEXA interpretation |Post fracture risk assessment |Glucocorticoid Osteoporosis |Secondary Causes of Osteoporosis |Lifestyle Management |Drug treatment and follow up.
Professor David Reid is Emeritus Professor of Rheumatology at the University of Aberdeen and was previous Head of the School of Medicine & Dentistry at the University. He is a consultant rheumatologist and has been involved in providing specialist osteoporosis services with a particular emphasis on bone densitometry for 30 years. He was Chair of the Board of Trustees of the UK National Osteoporosis Society from 2008-2012 and has previously chaired their Research Grants Committee and Medical Board.
Dr Rizwan Rajak
- Qualifications: MBBCh (hons), MRCP (London), MRCP Rheum (UK), LLM (Medical Law)
- Location(s): London
- Clinical Interest(s): Inflammatory Arthritis (Early arthritis & Complex disease), Musculoskeletal Ultrasonography (diagnostic & guided injections), Osteoarthritis, Gout, Fibromyalgia, Lupus & Autoimmune Connective Tissue Disorders, Soft Tissue Disorders (tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger finger), Osteoporosis & Metabolic Bone Disorders
Dr Rizwan Rajak is a Consultant Rheumatologist working in South West London and Surrey and offers private appointments for a range of musculoskeletal and rheumatic conditions. His healthcare philosophy is to provide early diagnostics and prevention of rheumatic disorders, to respond to changes in health to achieve optimal and ‘tight control’ of disease and promote better understanding through education to empower health professionals and patients alike.